Monday, September 28, 2009

189/365 Elizabeth Gilbert in Indy

I read Eat Pray Love a year or two ago and quickly became completely engrossed in it.

Elizabeth Gilbert wrote this memoir chronicling her year-long self-recovering journey around the world. She spent months in Italy, India, and Indonesia and afterward merged her experiences into this book.

I initially borrowed the book from the library, but I found as I was reading it that I had a strong urge to underline passages so I could come back to them later.

No, I didn't deface the library book. I finished it then went out and bought my own copy.

When my friend Beth told me Gilbert would be making a stop in Indianapolis, I immediately said, "Yes!" when she invited me to go hear her speak. That event was Monday night, at IUPUI. Gilbert spoke for an hour about her travel experiences to a packed room. I was thrilled to find that she's as clear and engaging in person as she is in print.

Once again, I wished I could stop her and underline passages of her thoughts.

Afterward she stayed to sign copies of her book, and Beth and I were lucky to be one of the first in line.
The icing on the cake? The whole event was free!

Now I think it's time to pull the book out and read it again. I just need a couple uninterrupted days, because I won't be able to put it down.

Camera: Canon PowerShot SD1000 indoors under fluorescent lighting

No comments:

Post a Comment