Sunday, September 27, 2009

186/365 Just ring the bell

This little bell, like you find in a bed and breakfast or mom-and-pop retail store, was a Christmas present to me when I was a kid.

It was one of those office supplies that was just fun to have (and probably became very annoying very quickly). But it turned into a useful little gadget to have around when either Chase or I was sick on the couch: can't yell for help? Ring the bell!

I pulled it out this weekend, but this time, it was to make it available for Mom. She's not sick per se, but she's stuck on the couch after a horseback riding accident on Thursday.

She was riding Xena on Thursday afternoon when Xena tripped on some uneven ground, went down on her knees, and Mom's momentum carried her forward and off. She's okay, but she cracked her pelvis in two places and will be out of commission for 6 weeks or so. She's tough, so I expect she'll be getting around on crutches later this week.

I spent the weekend helping her get around, taking care of stuff around the house, cooking dinner, etc. I'll go back out this week in the evenings to help as much as I can.

Mom never did need to ring the bell, but it was standing by just in case.

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens, 1/60s, f/2.8 at ISO 640 under overhead fluorescent lighting

2 comments:

  1. My kids love those bells. My husband's secretary has one on her desk and they can't go past it without ringing it a thousand times.
    theprovidentwoman.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's just something about it that draws your hand, no matter how old you are. It's a little like the urge to pull the fire alarm -- just to hear it. :)

    ReplyDelete