Thursday, September 10, 2009

170/365 Eye spy

One of my rough goals for this year's Project 365 is to do more self-portraits. About halfway through the year, I haven't done many so far. Part of the reason is I need to mentally get past the resistance to do such a photo when my hair isn't behaving, I'm not wearing a favorite shirt, it's too late in the day, etc. etc. etc.

I know, it sounds pretty typical. Just get over it already, huh?

Well here's a little twist on a self-portrait, featuring just one part of me: my eye. I did this photo around 10:00 p.m., so what makeup was left at the end of the day was quite impressively hanging on.

Like much of my physical appearance, my eye color is neither exactly like my mom's nor exactly like my dad's, but very much a mix of the two. (I've often said that when you look at my brother and me, you can have no doubt that we're siblings or that we're the children of our parents. We're a definite blend of the two.) Dad's eyes are more green and on the lighter side, while Mom's are more hazel leaning toward brown.

I didn't realize until I looked at this photo, magnified many times, that I had so much yellow in my irises. And when I get hungry, they turn black.

(If you're familiar with the traits of sparkly vampires, you'll get the joke.)

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens and 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 400

No comments:

Post a Comment