Friday, December 19, 2008

272/365 Seeing stars

I get an email newsletter that has loads of fun DIY photography projects, and one of them linked to another blog explaining how to make a bokeh. Last night, I finally got a chance to try it.

A bokeh (called by various other names depending on who you ask) is just a hood that fits over your lens, with a shaped cut-out in the center through which you make your photo.

I chose a star shape for my first bokeh. I used black construction paper and a star paper punch I've had since I was a kid (also handy for making confetti).

The bokeh fits over your lens, then every light point in your frame that is out of focus becomes shaped like the hole in the bokeh.

So this photo is simply out-of-focus lights on our Christmas tree. Cool!

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens and handmade bokeh, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 1600.

No comments:

Post a Comment