Wednesday, November 5, 2008

235/365 October Glory in November

The end of Daylight Savings Time is killing me.

Sure, it's nice to not drive to work in the dark, but the sun has set by the time I get home, meaning my options for outdoor photography after work have drastically changed.

So I'll have to get creative.

Last night, I rushed home in hopes of beating the sunset to photograph this tree. When I got home, I ran inside, grabbed my tripod, camera, and hotshoe flash, and raced out to the backyard.

I didn't make it in time to catch the sun shining on the tree, but it was still worth a try. I'm hoping its leaves won't have fallen by this weekend so I can try again. I played with lighting it with a flashlight and by hand-holding my flash, but neither method gave an accurate representation of the amazing color.

This is an October Glory maple tree. Dad commented one day last weekend that its red is so intense it looks like it's glowing. It's absolutely gorgeous, especially since its color doesn't peak until after nearly every other tree has shed its foliage.

Just three weeks ago I photographed its first transforming leaf. We have other red maples planted around the house, but this one is always particularly full and beautiful.

Camera: Canon 40D 1s, f/11 at ISO 200 at about 5:45 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment