Saturday, November 1, 2008

232/265 Early voting

After standing in line for nearly two hours today, I submitted my vote and did my civic duty three days early.

As you can see from this photo, I wasn't the only person who had the idea. In addition to this line, another formed on the other side of the building and was just as long.

I decided to vote early because last night, before dinner, I realized that if I wanted to vote on Tuesday, I was going to need to get to the polling place at 6:00 a.m. One of my girlfriends sent an email yesterday that contained the hours and locations for early voting around central Indiana (thanks, Kristina!), and that also nudged me to go today.

I expected that I wouldn't be the only person there, but I was completely unprepared for a line this long. I had to park in the grass in the ditch because all parking spaces were occupied. Surprisingly, no one in line (within my earshot) was complaining about the time. A lot of people had coffees in hand, several read books while they stood, many caught up on email on their Blackberries and iPhones, and I listened to podcasts on my iPod.

I'm positive that everyone's good mood could also be partially attributed to the gorgeous weather. If we had been standing for two hours in freezing temperatures instead of 65 degrees, I'm sure it would have been a different story.

Camera: Canon PowerShot SD1000 at about 11:30 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment