Monday, October 20, 2008

219/365 It's Junior Miss time

When the end of October draws near, it means it's Junior Miss time for me.

I love this program. I participated at the local and state levels in 2002, and I've volunteered with my local program ever since.

And darn it, it's NOT a pageant!

Ahem, pardon my outburst.

I've always been pretty anti-pageant. (And my definition of a pageant = walking onstage in a swimsuit and heels.) Yes, Miss America is a respected program and does a lot of good, but the thought of parading on stage in a bikini and 4-inch heels gets my feminist hackles up.

Now, on the other hand, nowhere in the Junior Miss program is anyone required to display themselves before a panel of judges in swimwear. It's all about scholastic achievement, poise, intellect, talent and physical fitness. And that's a platform I can get behind.

This year, my local program has eight participants. We met for the first time on Sunday afternoon, I shot their photos for the program booklet and county newspaper, and they got their first real idea of what their week will be like.

I'm looking forward to it!

Camera: Canon 40D with external E-TTL flash, 1/250s, f/5.6 at ISO 100 outdoors in shade at about 2:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment