Sunday, October 12, 2008

211/365 Fall festivities

Driving to the grocery store on Saturday afternoon, I was stopped by something so frightening, I was glad I had my camera.

Well, okay, it wasn't exactly scary, but in the Halloween spirit, it WAS a scarecrow contest.

I had grabbed my camera on the way out the door with the intention of going to my favorite apple orchard. But, as luck would have it, this weekend was their annual festival, and not only was parking ridiculous, the line to get in the driveway was holding up traffic on the road.

So I postponed my orchard trip for another day and instead stopped to see the result of a scarecrow contest in Danville.

From what I could tell, this was a benefit for the American Cancer Society. On all four sides of the square, people and businesses had designed scarecrows and lined them up about every 10 feet or so.

Some were really clever, a couple a little disturbing... but to each his own.

I have to say, my favorite (pictured above) was probably the most traditional. Call me simple, call me easy to please, whatever.

A couple other funny ones included an Elvis scarecrow for the Danville Rehab:
And a church choir, complete with pianist:
I don't know how much actual scaring these 'crows will do, but I sure like the idea.

Camera: Canon 40D with fill flash, 1/250 and 1/125, f/5.6 at ISO 100 at about 2:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment