Tuesday, May 27, 2008

74/365 The best beans

My weakness when it comes to cookies may be original no-fail chocolate chip. But my weakness when it comes to candy?

Jelly beans.

These are Jelly Belly beans, which are fantastic, but my favorites are actually the Brach's bird egg jelly beans that you can only find in stores around Easter. I have simple taste, as you can probably discern from my chocolate chip cookie love in the previous post.

When Chase and I were kids, we drove to my grandparents' house in Michigan to celebrate Easter each year. My grandmother used the same baskets every year, and she took great pride in filling the baskets with the special candy. She insisted on chocolate from a chocolatier near Detroit, because nothing else was good enough or worth it.

Mom told her every year, "Just get the kids Nestle or Hershey's candy, that's all they want! There's no need to go to this trouble." But she never relented.

I can't tell you how many big, solid, expensive chocolate bunnies ended up getting stale in the pantry before being thrown out at Halloween. Yet those cheap Brach's jelly beans disappeared before you could turn around to see if they were even there.

Nothing has changed.

Camera: Canon Rebel DSLR with 60mm macro lens, 1/60s, f/2.8 at ISO 800 under fluorescent and incandescent overhead light.

No comments:

Post a Comment