Monday, May 12, 2008

59/365 Wildlife

We've found this brave little squirrel running along the deck rail several times this spring.

When I think of brave squirrels I remember those that frolicked around campus when I was in college. They ran amongst hundreds of students on their way to and from class every day, so they'd become quite used to humans.

My favorite running path ran along a canal on the back side of campus. About a mile into the run, I'd have to slow down and look up into one particular walnut tree where the squirrels loved to hang out.

I started being cautious of that tree because one afternoon I nearly ended up with a concussion. Why? The squirrels were lobbing walnuts out of the tree onto the path. And when fresh walnuts the size of golf balls plummet toward the ground... they hit hard.

I'll give the squirrels the benefit of the doubt and assume they weren't throwing walnuts AT people... but after that I always made sure to look overhead before passing.

Camera: Canon Rebel DSLR on Program setting, 1/320s, f/7.1 at ISO 200.

No comments:

Post a Comment