Thursday, May 15, 2008

61/365 New corn and spring mud

Today's shot is another one that I've been thinking about for a long time.

It's planting season for the farmers, and yesterday I saw the first little corn stalks starting to sprout.

I've had this image in my mind for a while -- baby corn plants, lined up in a perfect row, lit by the setting sun... It's really striking in my head.

So last night after dinner, I put on my snow boots (because I don't have any rubber boots) and set out for the field across the road. The plants are only about an inch tall, so I think it will be better when they've matured a bit more. I planned for the mud (hence the snow boots) but not for the MUD. I didn't think about the fact that loose, fluffy, freshly tilled dirt when soaked with an inch of rain means DEEP MUD.

I took that first step into the edge of the field (careful to avoid the plants) and sank into mud that reached past my ankles!

I let out a verbal "Oh my gosh!" and thought about what I must look like if anyone were to drive by (they didn't, alleluia for living in the country): Young woman, camera in hand, wearing a worn, red, oversized sorority sweatshirt, black yoga pants, and snow boots is STUCK in the mud in someone else's field.

When I tried to remove my foot from the mud, it wanted to keep the boot and let my foot run free. The sucking sound it made could have been recorded and used for a movie.

I got a few photos, then turned around to carefully squelch myself out of the field.

This is what I looked like:
And I didn't realize until I was already in the yard that I was leaving MAJOR footprints:
See where I exited the field?

Note to self: next time, be more conscious about eliminating the evidence. Walk out toward the neighbor's house first, and THEN trek back home.

Camera: Canon Rebel DSLR, 1/60s, f/8.0 and f/5.6 at ISO 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment