Monday, September 27, 2010

101/365 Closing out the tomato season

I've been filching tomatoes from Mom and Dad recently (with their consent). My garden did very well at the beginning of the summer, but it has definitely suffered in the dry spell we've had lately. Luckily, I started really watering it in time to save the tomatoes, and they're coming back to life.

But it does mean that I've had several weeks during which my Better Boys haven't produced a single ripe tomato. Time to raid Mom and Dad's garden!

I've also found some local growers with roadside stands that have proven really valuable. This is the first year I've seriously set my mind toward supporting my local farmers, and the difference between local (seasonal) produce and that you find at the grocery store really is apparent. My diet has gone through a massive (though gradual) overhaul in the last year, and my consciousness as an eater and consumer has morphed along with it.

It's left me feeling like I have food on the brain constantly, but I'm proud of how far I've come! As a kid, I was the difficult child who couldn't eat in a restaurant unless it served chicken nuggets or spaghetti (with the sauce on the side!). Picky was my middle name. But in the last year, I've discovered a love for brussels sprouts, asparagus, interesting squashes... and amazingly, these are all vegetables, an item that was sorely missing from my diet for the past two decades.

I'm sad to see the local tomato season drawing to an end, but now I'm looking forward to squash time! What food do you look forward to most at this time of year?

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 200 at about 6:00 p.m.

1 comment:

  1. Squashes, and fresh apples from the orchard !

    ReplyDelete