Wednesday, July 21, 2010

64/365 A new project in the kitchen

I have a new project.

I almost always have a project or goal I'm working on, so this isn't an unusual statement for me to make. You've been seeing quite a bit more food photography here in the past few months. I cook dinner at home nearly every night of the week, so it's a handy subject! And when you consider that most of those dinners involve working with fresh produce, you can understand why it catches my eye.

Inspired by Julie & Julia (an excellent movie if you haven't seen it yet), Mom and I have embarked on this new project together: using our respective libraries of mostly unused cookbooks, we're each fixing one new recipe per week.

It's not as ambitious as Julie's project is in the movie -- cooking her way through a 500-recipe Julia Child cookbook in a year -- but it's still a fun challenge. So far, I've made a couple Curtis Stone recipes, a Rachel Ray, and we made a baked eggplant parmesan together this past weekend.

This photo shows the prep for one of those Curtis Stone recipes: caramelized nectarines with yogurt and honey. Sounds fantastic, doesn't it? Well, I have to wonder about the directions, because as simple as it was (just four ingredients), the sugar burned and it just didn't work out.

Undeterred, I'm on to the next recipe!

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens and 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s, f/4 at ISO 400

2 comments:

  1. I really liked that movie as well - and of course I couldn't help but think of your daily blog as I watched it. You should definitly include some photos of some of your recipes on the blog. More like this one, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Aaron, I definitely will!

    ReplyDelete