Friday, February 26, 2010

329/365 Ticking clock

I find comfort in the sound of a ticking clock.

For some, it's annoying background noise that grates on their nerves. Having grown up in a family that has at least three chiming clocks in every house, though, I feel like it fills the silence with a homey rhythm.

My grandfather, the king of clocks, gets credit for starting the family trend. When you visit him at his house, you may have to pause your conversation each hour on the hour because the chiming throughout the house is so loud. He's made dozens of clocks over the years, both for himself and for his children and grandchildren. I currently have one myself that chimes every 30 minutes, and one of these days (when I figure out where it should go and actually move it), I'll have another one.

I'm sure that family history is part of the reason I like the sound.

The Long Exposure in this photo (shutter speed of a full second) is meant to show the motion of the swinging pendulum.

Camera: Canon 40D with 430EX Speedlite, 1s, f/4 at ISO 100

No comments:

Post a Comment