Tuesday, February 23, 2010

325/365 Looking up, literally

Here's a slightly different take on the Look Up theme this week. Instead of an upward perspective through the lens of the camera, it's a self-portrait of me looking upward.

(That hat on my head has been a regular feature this winter, and it doesn't look like that will be changing any time soon. I'm definitely ready for the time to come when I can stash my winter gear in the closet.)

I made this photo using a tripod that was extended so that the lens was right at my eye level when standing, and I used a remote trigger to focus. I bounced a flash off the ceiling to camera left.

Here's a tip if you're ever trying a self-portrait (with a fairly large lens): use the front of the lens (or filter, in this case) like a mirror. My reflection off that flat surface is handy in figuring out where you need to stand for composition and focus!

Camera: Canon 40D with 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s, f/5.6 at ISO 320

No comments:

Post a Comment