Thursday, February 18, 2010

319/365 Friends with the humidifier

My humidifier and I have become buddies this winter.

It's a relationship that has seen its share of tension and uncertainty, but spats so far have been resolved through learning to communicate with one another (i.e. reading the manual to figure out why the heck it's not working right).

I'm amazed by how much a difference a change of 20% in humidity makes in a house. Before I got my humidifier, the humidity in my house (which is heated by a gas furnace) had dipped to less than 20% overall. It became horribly uncomfortable. I was waking up with a raspy throat every day, opening my eyes after a night's sleep was difficult, and my dry hands were worse than ever.

Add a humidifier, increase the humidity to 40-50%, and presto! Comfort returns.

Conversely, I'll switch my allegiance to the dehumidifier when May or June rolls around. Does that make me a fickle friend?


Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 400, shot in monochrome. Photo of a humidifier filter.

No comments:

Post a Comment