Sunday, January 25, 2009

309/365 Bop to the Top

My award for best stair-climbing outfit goes to this adorable little girl, who couldn't have been older than five. She had her pink sneakers laced up, her blond hair tied back, her race number pinned to her shirt... and her pink tutu secured around her waist!

Why didn't I think of that?

Since I'm writing this post-climb, you can tell that I survived my second Bop to the Top. More than 1300 people climbed to the top of the OneAmerica tower on Saturday morning between 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.

I climbed slower than I did last year (not intentionally). I wanted to improve on last year's time, but this year was more difficult since I haven't been running for exercise. I'm in as good, if not better, shape than I was one year ago, but I've been training my heart at an aerobic rate. Since I got a heart rate monitor, I've been careful to keep out of an anaerobic zone, which I didn't realize was a negative thing before this race.

Next year I know to train harder!

Nevertheless, I'm pleased with the accomplishment -- and the fact that I easily survived.

It seemed that the EMTs were busier this year than last. I saw at least two people being monitored, one of whom had to be hooked up to oxygen while an EMT listened to his heart.

805 steps to the 37th floor. That would be a workout for anyone.

Luckily we got to take the elevator back to the bottom!

Camera: Canon PowerShot SD1000.

No comments:

Post a Comment