Friday, July 30, 2010

69/365 Gladiolas

What do you think of -- or who do you think of -- when you see gladiolas?

Maybe this particular flower doesn't evoke any kind of association in your mind, but I bet there's another flower that does. I have several, since I feel I've been surrounded by different flowers throughout my life.

Poppies make me think of my beloved dog of the same name. Peonies make me think of my mom, and the story she tells about receiving a beautiful bouquet of peonies when I was born. Red geraniums remind me of Dad, because they're one of his favorite flowers to include in his seasonal flower pots around the house.

When Mom sees gladiolas, she thinks of her grandmother.

When I see gladiolas, I think of cows.

Cows?

When I was a kid, we had a flower garden that featured gladiolas and grew near a farm fence on the edge of our property. The farmer on the other side of the fence kept cows, and Chase and I used to climb the fence to pet the cows, if they let us.

How's that for an association?

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens, 1/60s, f/2.8 at ISO 500 by a window in natural light

No comments:

Post a Comment