Sunday, February 22, 2009

337/365 Serged to perfection

The beneath-the-surface workings of a serger are unbelievably intricate.

Not only does it weave together multiple threads -- anywhere from three to eight, it trims off the fabric at the edge of the seam in one smooth motion.

That is not a blade I'd want to get my finger caught in. (Not that there's a blade that I would like to get my finger caught in.)

Mom, of course, being the seamstress that she is, has a serger and uses it prolifically. Someday I'll probably take up sewing and get one of my own (not yet, but I'm sure the lure of making my own clothes will snag me at some point), but in the meantime, I enjoy watching her work at hers.

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens and 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 250.

No comments:

Post a Comment