Friday, July 4, 2008

111/365 Cucumbers and thorny devils

The edges of the leaves of this cucumber plant are what visually intrigued me. For some reason they remind me of an Australian thorny devil lizard.

Strange, I know.

I think it comes from a fascinating article I read in a recent issue of National Geographic about biomimetics. It's the work of studying nature and biology, then adapting that for new inventions. The thorny devil was one of the featured creatures (you can see it in this photo gallery). They're studying it because they've found that it can stand in water -- or on damp sand -- and move water up its foot, up its leg, across its back, to its mouth to drink. They want to figure out how exactly its skin works, then adapt the idea for water collection in the desert.

I found the entire article enthralling. I recommend it!

The edges of this cucumber leaf remind me of the spines on the thorny devil. How my mind got there? I have no idea.

Camera: Canon 40D 1/125s, f/5.6 at ISO 400 under overcast skies at about 8:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment