Sunday, July 6, 2008

113/365 Fields of gold

I love driving by wheat fields. Corn and soybean fields are nice in their own right, but the golden color of wheat fields just draws me in.

The farmers are now starting to harvest wheat that they planted last fall. I find it interesting that you get two crops from one wheat planting -- the wheat grain itself, and straw, which is just the remaining dry, hollow stalk.

It took me a while to understand the difference between hay and straw. Both are baled, but hay is a grass, while straw is the stalk of wheat (and other grains). Bales of hay weigh MUCH more than a bale of straw because of that distinguishing factor. You feed animals hay, you use straw for their bedding or in your garden.

I think of Chase when I see bales of either one. He's spent several summers and falls baling straw and hay with local farmers. When the temperature reached 90+ degrees, I know he looked much more forward to baling straw than hay because of the weight of each bale. Talk about rough work!

Camera: Canon 40D 1/60s, f/8 at ISO 200 in sunlight at about 7:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment