Monday, July 28, 2008

135/365 Concentric circles on old telephone poles

This is a closeup of one of three pieces of old telephone poles that sit in the corner of our deck. They’ve weathered the sun, snow, and everything in between for at least 10 years in this spot, so they’re starting to crack down the middle.
The even patterns of concentric circles is what drew me to make this photo. The evening sunlight deepened the shadows on top, so I thought it would be especially interesting in black and white.

I tried this both abiding by the rule of thirds and ignoring it, and I’m happier with this – the one that proved “all photography rules are meant to be broken.”

I’m pleased with the result!

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens, 1/500s, f/2.8 at ISO 100 in direct sunlight at about 7:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment