Sunday, February 27, 2011

153/365 New sprouts

As promised, here's part two of the soaking and sprouting series of photos!

No, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you: these are different foods than were pictured in my last post. On the left are sprouting lentils, and on the right are sprouting wheat berries.

I was thrilled by how quickly the wheat berries sprouted. For one, these wheat berries have been sitting in the pantry for more than two years. Seriously. I wasn't sure they'd be good anymore, but voila! A day of soaking, a day on the counter, and evidence of life was unmistakable. See those little white "tails" on the grains?

Sadly to say, my experience cooking these two foods together wasn't as wildly successful -- my lentils turned into mush. Still edible, but they weren't nearly as good as the sampling I got in the actual class. But I forge on, undeterred, ready to tweak the approach and try it again!

Who knew whole grains could be so much fun?

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens and 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 640

No comments:

Post a Comment