Tuesday, February 1, 2011

142/365 Ice storm, round 1

[This just in: we now bring you breaking news, interrupting the "breakfast" theme. Because this is more important. And timely. Regular programming will resume soon.]

So, did you hear that there's a winter storm happening? How could you miss it?

The forecast for central Indiana is calling for up to an inch and a half of accumulating ice. Ice. Yikes. You know I'm a fan of weather, and I'm generally fascinated by storms, but this has me downright nervous. I had to turn off the TV and switch to the radio, because coverage of the storm has been nearly nonstop and was only making things worse.

I made two decisions: 1) I'd stay home and ride it out, even though I don't have a fireplace if we lose power. My grandmother, when she lived in this house, rarely used the heat, so I know it won't get that cold. (I hope.) And 2) work from home today. My office ended up closing at noon, anyways, and I was able to be really productive with so few distractions. The kitchen table was my home today.

The first wave let up this morning, leaving nearly half an inch of ice on every surface. Last night, in preparation for the first wave of the storm, I filled bottles, and jugs, and buckets, and pitchers of water. Drinking water, hand- and face-washing water... I think I have enough drinking water to last me at least four days:
 And, let's not forget, buckets of water nearby for flushing the toilet!

I also made a big pot of soup (a new recipe, three-bean chili, and it was great!), so I should be set! Now I'm just crossing my fingers that nothing will happen because I'm prepared. Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

Wherever you are, stay safe -- and stay tuned!


Camera: Canon 40D
First photo: With 60mm macro lens, 1/125s, f/4 at ISO 125 at about 1:00 p.m.
Second and third photos: With 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s and 1/250s, f/5.6 at ISO 100

No comments:

Post a Comment