Thursday, April 22, 2010

8/365 The monolith in the cemetery

I stopped at a small cemetery on my way home from work to find this photo of the day.

One of the grave markers really stood out. It was carved from what looked like black granite and stood about six feet high. Instead of just one single headstone, it had two individual pillars, polished smooth. And on one side, there were even bronze graphics honoring the man (a doctor) laid to rest here.

Pretty elaborate.

Honestly, what it reminded me of (and by no means is this intended disrespectfully) was the monolith in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Terrible movie (feel free to disagree, that's just my opinion), but memorable nonetheless.

I walked around the headstone until I found this interesting perspective, looking diagonally between the two pillars, that frames the flag at the crest of the cemetery.

Thanks for the photographic opportunity, doc.

Camera: Canon 40D, 1/250s, f/5.6 at ISO 100 at about 5:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment