Friday, April 2, 2010

358/365 Look down: spring daffodils

All around Indiana right now, when you look downward (see how I worked that theme in?) into flower beds, you're bound to see daffodils.

I'd be willing to bet that one reason we see so much of this cheery flower is because it's one of the first spring flowers to sprout. So our impatience for new life in the new year is tamed by their appearance.

I know it's true for me. This isn't the first time I've photographed daffodils -- I can't resist. In my case, and the fact that I use this blog as a project to boost my photographic skills, I really enjoy looking back over similar photos of mine to look for marked improvement.

I can see several points of improvement in this photo compared to some of my previous ones: The exposure is better (lighter), I've framed the subject more closely (not always a "better" thing, but in this case I think it is because it focuses your attention differently), and I like the diagonal created by the framing of the flower.

I guess that means I should keep it up!

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens, 1/125s, f/4.5 at ISO 400 at about 6:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment