Wednesday, August 20, 2008

158/365 Power lines

Generally when I use Photoshop, and my skills still tend to fall on the Novice end of the scale, I use it to make my photos look as close to reality as I possibly can. The human eye sees more vibrant colors, and more dynamic light ranges, than a camera ever is able to.

While I appreciate the talent and time that it takes to create Photoshop art that drastically alters images, it just doesn't appeal to me. Maybe I'm old-school, but I want to believe what I see in photographs, whether it's a snapshot of a celebrity, a portrait of a friend, or a landscape in western America.

So I usually stick to that kind of editing when I'm tweaking my own images.

This one is a little different. I took this photo on my way home yesterday. I had to be fast, because I was in line to go through a stop sign and couldn't take my time to compose it exactly how I wanted -- so as a result, I'm not terribly pleased with it. It felt very... boring.

So I changed it to black and white, and I burned all of the greenery to black, so that it became silhouetted against the sky.

It helped a little. I feel like it's a tad more interesting now, and it makes me think of a scene from many decades ago.

Camera: Canon PowerShot SD1000 at about 5:15 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment