Tuesday, August 12, 2008

150/365 Indiana State Fair

August means it's time for the Indiana State Fair.

The first memory that pops into my mind is not of various fried-delicacies-on-a-stick, but of dancing with my clogging team on the first Saturday of the fair every year. At one particular stage, under a white and yellow tent, on a raised plywood surface, we clogged at 1:00 p.m., usually in 90+ degree heat in long sleeves and pantyhose.

Sounds fun, doesn't it?

Actually, it was one of my favorite shows to do every year. The stage loudly projected the sound of our steps, and I got to see other teams from around the state perform.

Our team disbanded when I was a freshman in college. There's no dramatic ending story to tell; everyone had simply acquired too many outside commitments or had been dancing for so many years they were ready for a break.

Trekking to the Indiana State Fair makes me remember that I still miss certain aspects of it, especially getting the chance to regularly perform on stage. I don't miss pounding the cement in unsupportive shoes -- a repetitive act which has meant that my knees will never be the same.

My trips to the Fair nowadays mean photography exhibits instead.

Camera: Canon 40D 1/125s, f/8 at ISO 100 in direct sunlight at about 7:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment