Thursday, January 27, 2011

140/365 Breakfast: Green smoothie

Do not be afraid.

You're only seeing this through your computer screen, so it can't get you.

I mentioned that I've been working with a nutritionist recently. Well, one of her first recommendations for me was that I should try to eat a serving of greens at every meal. I like green vegetables -- spinach, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, lettuce, kale -- so it sounded like a task I could easily take on.

But then, in practice, I struggled with one meal: breakfast. Beyond adding spinach to my eggs, I had a hard time coming up with other ideas. The thought of having a salad for breakfast doesn't exactly make me want to jump out of bed in the morning.

Thankfully, there are some really tasty green juices on the market. Then I started thinking, what if I made my own? That's got to be better, right? I don't own a juicer (and don't plan to buy one any time soon), so that brings me to smoothies instead.

Time to experiment.

I've put my blender through its paces, trying multiple combinations of ingredients on my own, but they all fell a little short. While drinkable, they weren't yummy. And forgive me, but I want my breakfast to be yummy.

Google "green smoothie" and you'll get hundreds of recipes. Since my personal experiments weren't measuring up, I decided to pick one and give it a try. I landed on the "Classic Green Monster" from Oh She Glows. Short list of ingredients, easy to adapt. Cross your fingers...

It's great! And worth repeating! Woohoo!

My version uses So Delicious Coconut Milk, one frozen banana, two handfuls baby spinach, ground flax seeds, and my new favorite Alton Brown cashew butter. Blend it up, and voila! You get a bright green smoothie that is really tasty. And trust me, the banana and cashew butter are the dominant flavors. The spinach mainly adds color and nutrients.

While it may remind you of the clip below, I encourage you to be brave, find the fun of your inner child who likes the idea of drinking bright green smoothies, and give it a whirl!



Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens and 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s, f/4 at ISO 640

No comments:

Post a Comment