Monday, January 17, 2011

136/365 Starfruit from Florida

For the past few months, I've been working with a nutritionist to see if I can make some health improvements through eating habits alone. It's been an interesting learning process, and it's definitely an adjustment!

One of my fears going in was that she would tell me to cut dairy products out of my life, and I love dairy. Milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream... serve it up! Sure enough, one of her first recommendations was to cut back on it. Surprisingly, it hasn't been as difficult as I expected it to be. Soy milk isn't an option, but I've found that the So Delicious milk substitute made from coconut milk is very good, and I learned I can live with goat's milk, as well (go figure).

At our last meeting, she brought me a couple of starfruit from her sister-in-law's tree in Florida. I can't imagine having these growing on a tree in the yard! I'm so used to Midwestern fare like berries and apples that it's strange to think about having your own starfruit -- or even orange -- tree in the yard.

I have to say, though, the starfruit was fun to photograph, but not so great to eat. It had no real flavor, and I expected it to be sweeter. It may not have been quite ripe, so I'll try giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens, 1/250s, f/4 at ISO 100 by a window in natural light at about 4:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment