Monday, March 24, 2008

10/365

OK, I'll admit it. Tonight was one of those nights at the start of which I had this great idea of what photo I wanted to get... and the result just didn't turn out like what I had in mind. But that happens!

My judge of "spring is here" each year starts with the two maple trees in our front yard. When I come downstairs from my room every day, I look out the windows over our front door at these trees and check to see how much the buds are growing. It starts with just a little hint of red on the tips of the branches, then you can see actual buds, then the leaves pop out miraculously before dawn one morning.

By this clock, spring has sprung this year! I've had this picture in my mind for several days. My idea was to photograph the buds of one tree with the sunset glowing in the background. I got outside and my first hint that it wasn't going to go as planned came when I realized that the trees themselves -- not just their buds -- had grown! My tripod, even on its tiptoes, couldn't reach the bottom branches! Then, to focus on a close bud, I had to tip the camera up at an angle... and I lost the glow of the sunset. So, this photo is my favorite of the series. I'll have to think about the execution more and try it again another night!

Camera: Canon Rebel DSLR 60mm macro lens, 1/30s, f/4.0, ISO 100 at 8:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment