Sunday, March 23, 2008

9/365

I'm an overachiever today (or just plain indecisive... take your pick) and am going to post two photos for the day!

First up: piano keys.

I've photographed our piano keys on more than one occasion. I love that it looks like a black and white photo, but actually isn't. I like the clean lines, repeating pattern, and all of the memories that the piano evokes after many many years of playing and hearing it.

I think of Mom playing at Christmas time while I sat beside her on the bench and just watched and sang, and then, years later, started playing four-hand duets with her, swaying back and forth to the beat as we played "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas..."

I also think of my sophomore year of high school, when I (volunteered? was coerced into?) played as part of our production of Fame! My big scene was to be when I accompanied a girl a year older than me as she sang "Memories..." solo. I sat down at the keyboard, hands quaking -- which is not a good nervous symptom when you're playing piano -- laid my hands on the keys for the first chord, double checked to make sure they were correct, hit that first chord... and stopped. Something was wrong. This sound was NOT right. I hit it again, thinking it was my imagination. Nope, still wrong. And now we were off. She started singing without me. I realized, my hands now enveloped in a 7.0 earthquake, that I was a step too high -- my fingers were in the correct position, but they were on the wrong notes. I finally caught up with her, stumbled through the song, took my bow, and raced backstage in tears. Needless to say, I rarely make public appearances.

Picture above: Canon Digital Rebel DSLR, 60mm macro lens, 1/30s, f/4.0, ISO 400. Natural light from two windows off to the left.

This second picture is of a new skein of yarn that Mom recently bought to make a scarf. She's been on a knitting kick for a year or so, and she keeps a basket full of yarn next to her "spot" on the couch. Next up are new wool slippers for me, because I've worn holes through the first sole-layer in my current pair.

Canon Digital Rebel DSLR, 60mm macro lens, 1/60s, f/2.8, ISO 200. Natural light from a window off to the left.

1 comment:

  1. Ooohhh, so this is what you were up to on Easter. I love both of them, but the piano picture a bit more with the story of you and the piano. I remember you playing in the sorority house sometimes... that seems like a million years ago.

    I did get your email today and will respond, of course. It was lovely to hear from you!!

    My friend's spouse (the title that they prefer) told me about the "rule of thirds," which I think I already knew on a subconscious level. My goal for this week is to figure out a little more about the ISO/Aperture relationship. I feel special that you think the composition on the flower shot is nice! : )

    Question for you about angles: I see that the photo of the yarn follows the "rule of thirds" in the patterns and how it's focused. How does this work with the angle on the piano keys?

    They're quite nice. I have a lot of work to do!

    Love,
    J

    ReplyDelete