Saturday, March 12, 2011

156/365 Spicing up vegetables

Garlic seems to be one of those things that divides people between love-it and hate-it. I fall into the love-it category, and I've been trying to use more of the fresh stuff lately. I add it to just about everything I cook, from soups to scrambled eggs. One of my favorite new soups from this winter -- Tuscan Chickpea from Cooking Light -- calls for eight cloves of garlic.

Yep, you read that correctly. Eight. Cloves. It's fantastic, and I honestly don't find the garlic flavor overpowering or dominating by any means. (Same goes for the two cups of onion: it doesn't make the soup overly onion-y.)

Add to its resume the fact that garlic is incredibly good for you, and I'm sold.

Are you a fan? Do you fall into the love-it or hate-it side of the argument?

Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens and 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 500

2 comments:

  1. It seems like its an ingredient in 80 percent of everything I make and yet I would say very few of them have a "garlic" flavor. One of the biggest hurdles is learning how to crack/chop/mince the little cloves. I bet you learned that in your chopping class though.

    I am bookmarking this soup...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I've started using my garlic press for any instance where I need a clove of garlic! We did cover mincing of garlic in that knife skills class, which was very handy, but the garlic press is much faster. Since I love garlic, I like that it lets more of the flavor and juices out into the food, too. I only use a knife on special occasions. ;)

    I've made this soup twice this winter, and I'm ready to make it again. It's a definite favorite. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete