Tuesday, November 23, 2010

120/365 Tasty little rubies

You've probably noticed them. They're popping up at grocery stores all around us.

What are they? Pomegranates!

And until this year, I've never really noticed them. Completely ignored them, in fact, because I had no idea what to do with one.

Enter: Alton Brown.

With my long-standing no-cable status, I tend to be a little behind when it comes to discovering great shows. Years behind in some cases. So, I've just seen my first episodes of "Good Eats," his show on the Food Network. Half a dozen episodes in and I'm already enthralled!

One of these episodes focused entirely on pomegranates. How to select one, what to do with it, how to store it, and -- most importantly -- how to open the darn thing without ending up with a bloody mess all over the kitchen and yourself.

I went to the grocery store that very night to get one and try it myself! I can't remember ever having had fresh pomegranate before, and it was amazing! I added the arils to my salads and coleslaw or just reached in the container and grabbed a handful. It didn't take me long to devour all of them. So, on my next trip to the grocery store (while they were still on sale for four for $5), I bought four more.

Curious to see the amazing Alton Brown's trick for a no-mess experience with a pomegranate? Here's a clip from the episode! (The directions start around the 3-minute mark.) Give it a try!



Camera: Canon 40D with 60mm macro lens and 430EX Speedlite, 1/125s, f/2.8 at ISO 320

No comments:

Post a Comment